Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Déjà Vu

I'm watching the Weather Channel again. To my dismay, there's a hurricane sitting off the Carolina coast. Although it doesn't appear to be anything too terribly powerful, a part of me shudders when I think about it. Making matters worse, it's quite overcast here in Wisconsin; I half expect to hear the wind scream past the windows and the trees sigh and shake.

Some of my co-workers are a bit jealous of me: they would love nothing more than to "ride out" a tropical cyclone. I can only shake my head in disbelief. It sounds more "fun" than it really is, let me tell you. It's nothing like a summer thundershower; a hurricane lasts for several hours, if not an entire day or more. It's not at all like a tornado; although a hurricane's winds are much slower, it is larger than a tornado and can wipe out whole cities if it chooses. Hurricanes are fearsome beasts, terrifying in their power.


Although there are days when I long for the beauty of the North Carolina coast, I sincerely doubt I would ever move back. For all its snow and cold, Wisconsin feels much quieter and so much more like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



DEITY OF THE DAY
Featured today:
>> View article
www.godchecker.com